Digital marketing is the most in-demand job profile in today’s time. The world is getting smaller and your dreams can be achievable now. Never stop aiming high if you are looking forward to reaching the highs of success in the digital stream. A career in digital marketing is just for you. With the internet booming and reaching every corner of the world, you can explore the digital world and expand your business. The right skills and better vision will take you places.
Many digital marketing aspirants are opting for online digital marketing courses, which have proved very helpful in shaping to start or up-skill their careers. At fingertips, you will get to learn the best digital marketing advancements.
So, here are the top 50 digital marketing interview questions, just for you to understand the business grounds in the digital field.
What are The Top 50 Digital Marketing Interview Questions?
1. Briefly explain digital marketing.
Digital marketing is also addressed as online marketing. It is a combination of all the marketing strategies on the internet. The technique of brand, product, or business promotion and services through social media, search engines, e-mails, video or audio mediums, websites, etc is digital marketing.
2. What are the types of digital marketing?The different types of digital marketing strategies are:
- Email marketing
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Affiliate marketing
- Content marketing
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC)
3. How is digital marketing beneficial for companies?The promotion of your product or brand on digital platforms reaches a wide audience, and the smooth interaction with the clients it makes easy for the company to understand the customer's preferences.
4. Define SEO?Search engine optimization is a technique used to increase website traffic and page visibility on the search engine result page (SERP).
5. How does digital marketing help increase web traffic?Digital marketing helps in ranking the website, it increases the webpage visibility by bringing the page into search engine result page (SERP), which helps to apply various SEO, SEM, and web optimization strategies with strong keywords to increase web traffic.
6. What are keywords? And why are they given so much importance?When we search for any particular product, company, service, etc, the relevant phrases we mention to search are the keywords. It is the basic structure form in SEO. The keyword has great importance when it is used in the right way. It pulls the organic traffic and that is the most important factor.
7. Where are the keywords used that increase traffic to a website?Keywords can be used in the following places to generate more web traffic:
- Web page title
- Web page URL
- Meta description
- Website content
8. What are the different types of SEO?
There are three types of SEO
Grey hat SEO: This is a practice of both the techniques of white hat SEO and black hat SEO to increase website traffic.
White hat SEO: Any practice that improves the website traffic is white hat SEO. Use of high-quality content, web optimization or link building, this technique when applied is referred to as white hat SEO.
Black hat SEO: Manipulating the search engine algorithms to increase web traffic is called black hat SEO. This can involve unethical practices of adding spam, keyword stuffing, etc
9. What are the two main ways of digital marketing?
The two main ways of digital marketing are inbound and outbound techniques. Inbound marketing is a way that is completely customer oriented where the content is designed as required by the client in the form of blogs, social media inputs, etc. The outbound technique targets the product directly to reach a larger audience. It covers the traditional marketing method; the content is distributed through billboards, television commercials, or print media.
10. Name different methods that can be used to improve the conversion rate.
For a better conversion rate, all you have to do is improvise your webpage visuals. That includes functions, styling, or modifying the web page layout.
11. How will you differentiate between marketing & branding?Branding is a vision it is a long process of making the audience aware of the product or particular company. Marketing is the promotion of products or services to the targeted audience.
12. What are the most adequate ways to increase web traffic?The most adequate ways to increase web traffic are:
- Guest blogging
- Email marketing
- Long-tail keywords usage in content
- SEO strategies
- Content optimization
- Paid search
- Getting backlinks from prominent sites
13. What are some of the best digital marketing tools used in the industry?Some of the tools used in digital marketing are:
- Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a free web analytics platform that allows you to track and supervise your Flash, video, and social networking sites and apps, and analyze and calculate your advertisement ROI.
Ahref is a toolset for backlinking and SEO analytics
Mailchimp is a marketing automation platform tool that allows you to manage and communicate with your company's clients and consumers. It is also an email marketing service.
- Google keyword planner
The Google Keyword Planner is a tool that finds keywords for your campaigns. It’s a free app that lets you find keywords specific to your company and see how many monthly searches are successfully accepted, as well as how much expense it will have to target the searches.
Semrush is a tool that increases web exposure and discovers marketing knowledge. Marketers working in SEO, PPC, SMM, Keyword Research, Competitive Research, and content marketing services will benefit from SEMrush tools.
14. Name some Pay Per Click tools.Some of the PPC tools are:
- SEMrush: It is a keyword research tool. It helps with online ranking data like cost-per-click and search volume.
- SpyFu: Get the SEO keyword ranking history. You can track the competitor keyword ranking. it reveals the SEO activities of the competitor.
- Unbounce: The user can create their landing page and publish it. The landing page does not need any coding.
15. What are the most noted digital marketing strategies?The most significant digital marketing strategies are:
- Website management
- Regular content posting on the website
- Google my business
- Helping the buyers easy to reach you
- Consistency in media presence
- Consistency in online presence
16. What SEO tools are used for backlinking?
Semrush, Ahref, Backlinkwatch, Alexa, etc are some of the SEO tools used for backlinking.
17. What is Google AdWords?
It is the most popular PPC advertising system. It is the most convenient way to meet customers online. Businesses can give ads through this platform.
18. What is the character limit on Google Adwords?
The character limits on Google Adwords for headlines and sub-headlines are 30 characters and 90 characters respectively.
19. Which social media platforms are popular in digital marketing?
The most popular social media platforms are LinkedIn and Facebook. For influential marketing, Instagram is doing very well.
20. What is content marketing?
Content marketing is the most genuine technique to get the audience's attention. It is cost-effective and has a value quotient, which attracts a lot of organic traffic to the website.
21. What is AMP?
AMP is accelerated mobile pages. It helps the web pages to be mobile-friendly. With AMP web pages become fast and responsive for a mobile platform.
22. What is CTR?
CTR stands for click-through rate. It counts the no. of clicks and impressions.
23. What strategies are applied to rank a website in case of hard keywords?
There are the following things you can do to rank on difficult keywords:
- Do proper keyword research
- Optimize the content
- Use long-tail keywords
- Use attractive titles
24. How can you check the performance growth on social media platforms?
Check out the following points on social media, it will give you a fair idea of the growth of performance on social media:
- Direct engagement
- Content sharing
- Brand outreach
25. How to measure ROI?
ROI is the short form for return on investment.
ROI= (Sales Growth – Marketing Cost) / Marketing Cost
26. How are page views and sessions different?
The no. of times when a user is active on a website between 30 sec is called a session. Page view refers to the activity as the number of times the viewer has clicked on a particular website.
27. How does YouTube help in digital marketing?
YouTube helps in increasing website traffic with good visuals or a good presentation of the product. With eye-catching and engaging videos, a lot of traffic and leads can be generated for the website.
28. How is a backlink different from a hyperlink?
A backlink navigates to a particular website where as a hyperlink connects you to any form of a link.
29. How is Google AdSense different from Adwords?
Adsense helps the company to generate space for Adwords on the website. Adwords are used to post an advertisement on Google. All the ad segments are handled well by both AdSense and Adwords.
30. What are webmaster tools?
Webmaster tools are a set of tools, it helps to make a website user-friendly and takes care of its performance. It is one of the important factors in SERP which leads the website ranking.
31. Anything you would like to change in digital marketing?
Any alternative step that causes delay or hassle in the marketing process is something I would like to change in digital marketing. The small hassles which cause a delay in client campaign success should be able to tackle smoothly.
32. What particular skills are needed in digital marketing?
A creative approach is essential. Technical knowledge with writing skills is very much in demand in the digital marketing field.
33. On which social media platform does the audience prefer to post job-related ads?
LinkedIn is a social media platform where users can post job-related ads. There are many other websites like "indeed" which bring together the recruiters and the candidates on the same platform.
34. Name some email marketing tools.
Campaign Monitor, Litmus, and MailGenius are some of the popular email marketing tools.
35. What is a responsive website?
Effective and smooth performance of the website on multiple devices such as desktop, mobile, and tablet is referred to as responsive websites.
36. How is SEM different from SEO?
Search engine marketing (SEM) is paying for getting the space on the SERP. SEO is a technique that generates organic traffic for the website.
37. Why is an anchor tag used in SEO?
An anchor tag is used to check how the content ranks on multiple search engines. An anchor tag is a text in hyperlink format. It is a clickable text in the hyperlink.
38. What is email marketing?
Email marketing is the marketing technique that allows the user to reach the customer through emails and generate business.
39. Why do companies prefer online marketing to traditional marketing?
It is a proven fact that digital marketing reaches the audience much quicker and it is fast in advertising the product and reaching the right audience. Hence it is the preferred method of marketing by most companies.
40. What role do social media play in digital marketing?
The effective role that social media plays in digital marketing is that in very less time it can capture the market by reaching out to the right audience. The interaction and conversation with the users benefit the company to understand the market requirement.
41. Which are the four important C`s in online marketing?
The four C’s of digital marketing are:
- Customer: Who checks the content
- Content: The information that pulls the right audience
- Context: The subject for which the audience visits the page
- Conversation: The direct interaction between the client and the customers
42. What factors does the page ranking depend on?
Some of the main factors page rankings depend on are:
- User experience
- Domain age and authority
- Secure and accessible website
- Page speed
- SEO optimization
43. Are you aware of the latest trends in social media?
One can stay updated with the latest online trends by following social media platforms, taking updates from tubers or influencers, by subscribing to various blogs or forums.
44. How will you rank yourself in the field of digital marketing?
The interviewer only wants to know your strengths and weaknesses. So just relax and answer as per your potential. With appropriate examples let the interviewer know how well you can handle digital marketing.
45. What steps will you take to pull customers' attention on social media?
The best way to grab a customer's attention is to the most creative and engaging content. The user should find it interesting which will pull a greater audience.
46. What do you know about viral marketing?
Viral marketing is a creative way to promote your product on social media, in a way that grabs everyone's attention.
47. How your educational degree has helped you in digital marketing?
This can be a random answer depending on your experience and skill set. If you are from the technical field you can mention how it helps you in generating more leads through technical content or presentations.
48. Name some Google Adwords ad extensions?
The Google Adwords ad extensions are:
- Promote extension
- Structured snippet extension
- Site link extension
- Affiliate location extension
- App extension
- Call extensions
- Callout Extension
49. What KPIs are used in social media reports?
The KPIs that one much mentioned in social media reporting are:
- Traffic details
- Brand mentions
50. What are three known ingredients in digital marketing?
Traffic, insights, and sales are the three main ingredients in digital marketing.